Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Annotated Bib

Although students often resist this project at first, an Annotated Bibliography is a great way to organize your research to date, make sure you have the citing under control, and begin brainstorming how you will write or present your project. It also serves as a “check point” to make sure you are making good progress towards meeting the project deadline. What follows is the Annotated Bibliography I compiled for my project to find the right shotgun for me (see earlier post).

Worth Weller
Prof. Worth Weller
ENG W131
25 March 2011

Annotated Bibliography: Purchasing a Remington Shotgun

In the winter of 2010/11 I decided I wanted a firearm of some sort for home protection during the times we stayed at our rural cabin in North Carolina. This weapon needed to be multi-purpose, with enough stopping power to halt an intruder and scare off bears. Following is bibliographic information for the artifacts that I used during my search.

Barcode. Remington 870 Shotgun. 27 Feb. 2011.

This item is the barcode from the box my new shotgun came in. It shows the model number and reveals that this is a 20 gauge shotgun with an 18.5” barrel with a 12” pull. I’m going to use it in my project because it shows the position I reached on which type of weapon to purchase.

Hawks, Chuck. “Introduction to Shotgun Gauges and Shells.” Outsidehub. Web. 10 Feb. 2011. < http://www.chuckhawks.com/intro_gauges.htm>

This article explains the different bores and shell sizes for a shotgun in layman’s terms.

“Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870.” GunWebsites. Web. 10 Feb. 2011.
< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EkjLkDYFRY>

This four minute YouTube video helped me decide between the two most popular brands of shotguns.

Pedchenko, Vitaly. Rem870.com. Web. 11 Jan. 2011 < http://www.rem870.com/>

This is a frequently updated blog that contains lots of pictures and useful information about how to use, modify, and maintain the Remington 870.

“Pick up a New Shotgun for Turkey Season.” Gander Mtn. Web. 12 Feb. 2011.
<
http://search.gandermountain.com/?cname=Shotguns&Ne=1000&N=1775>

I used this web page to compare prices, specifications and features among popular shotguns.

“Owner’s Manual: Instruction Book for Model 870 & 870 Super Magnum Pump Action Shotguns.” Remington Arms Company, Inc. Madison, NC. 2010.

This owner’s manual tells how to break down the rifle for cleaning and how to use the trigger lock. I will use it in my paper to discuss safety issues.

Robinson, Roger H. The Police Shotgun Manual. Springifled, IL: Thomas, 1973.

Although dated, this book from Helmke Library, has a lot of useful information about shell size, stopping power, and related tactical information.

Store Receipt. Gander Mountain. 27 Feb. 2011.

This item shows the purchase price, purchase date, and other items that I bought with the shotgun. I’m using this to show that there was more costs involved to owning a weapon than just the price of the shotgun.

Towsley, Bryce. “Top 5 Pumps.” Outdoor Life. 211.8 (2004): 101-02. Academic Search Premier. EBSCOhost. Helmke Library, Ft. Wayne, IN. Web. 25 Feb. 2011.

This article compares the Mossberg to the Remington and explains the features of each. Although not rating one above the other, it told me enough to help me determine the Remington was the best model for me because of the placement of the safety and the available lengths of “pull.”




No comments:

Post a Comment